Find all the research and writing guides you need here.
Remember, if you need additional help, you can always request research assistance from one of our librarians.
Introduction to the Library
For a general overview of what the library can offer you:
- Find the research and learning resources available from the library
- Create with computers, software and more to help you complete projects
- Get Help from tutorials and guides that will guide you through research, writing and more
- Connect to our friendly, helpful library staff
For off-campus access to library resources, get your Library PIN.
For most users, your SAIT ID card is your library card. See Library Cards, for alternatives to the SAIT ID card
Want to borrow books from other libraries in Alberta? Visit the Information Desk and ask for a TAL (The Alberta Library) card. Or, learn about borrowing from other institutions through interlibrary loans.
Searching for Information
These guides will show you how to search for information using the Library catalogue, online databases, and more.
- Building a Research Strategy
This guide outlines a research process suitable to many assignments.
- Discovery Search Tip Sheet (PDF)
Download this PDF to see step-by-step instructions on how to use our Discovery Search box on the home page.
- Find an e-Book using Discovery Search (PDF)
e-Books are a growing collection of current materials covering a wide variety of subjects. Don't miss out.
- Searching Google (Video 3:02 mins)
This video shows you how to improve search results when using Google for research.
Our guides provide you with information relevant to a variety of programs, courses and topics.
- Types of Journals and Magazines
This page discusses the characteristics of various types of periodicals.
Citing and Writing
These guides will to assist you with evaluating sources and properly integrating research information into your project.
- Evaluating Information: Use your RADAR
Learn to assess possible research sources and ensure you are using the most relevant information.
- Evaluating Information: The Video (Video 3:53 mins)
This guide is focused on evaluating information found on the open internet.
- Avoiding Plagiarism
Learn about plagiarism and how to avoid it in your assignments.
- Citation Guides
Get help with the APA or IEEE or Vancouver citation styles.