SAIT ID Card
The SAIT ID card is the preferred library card for use by students, faculty and staff to borrow materials from the library.
Part-time and distance students are entitled to a SAIT ID card from Student Services. The library may issue a temporary library card to part-time and distance students who cannot easily get a SAIT ID card.
Contract staff and faculty may also be issued with a temporary library card.
Expiry of Library Privileges
Full-time students have library privileges from the start of their program until they graduate or withdraw.
Part-time, apprentice and distance students can only access library resources while their classes are in session. Their privileges will expire on the last day of scheduled classes or upon withdrawal from SAIT.
Permanent staff and faculty retain library privileges until they leave SAIT.
Contract staff and faculty only have library privileges for the period of their current contracts.
The Alumni Card can be used to borrow library materials.
Alumni cards are available to people who have graduated from a SAIT program. Contact the Alumni office to see if you qualify.
Once you have your Alumni Card, bring it to the library's Information Desk to register for borrowing privileges. See Loans and Renewals for a list materials available to Alumni borrowers.
e-Resources cannot be viewed outside the Reg Erhardt Library. Some of these electronic resources may not be accessible at all, depending on our licensing agreements with our vendor.
Expiry of Library Privileges
Alumni Cards do not expire. However, library privileges will expire annually to ensure accuracy of your contact information.
The Alberta Library (TAL) Cards
The TAL card allows users, sponsored by a home library, to access public, academic and special libraries across Alberta.
Participating libraries in Calgary include:
- Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD) Library
- Bow Valley College Library
- Calgary Public Library
- Mount Royal University Library
- St. Mary’s University College Library
- University of Calgary Library
SAIT Faculty, Staff and Students
Current SAIT faculty, staff and students in good standing are eligible for a free TAL Card. You can use your TAL Card to borrow materials from any participating library in Alberta. To register just bring your SAIT ID card to the library Information Desk.
Each library has slightly different rules regarding TAL borrowers. Rules common to most TAL libraries are:
- To begin borrowing from a TAL library you will need your TAL Card, proof of address (provincial ID card is preferred) and SAIT ID card.
- It is your responsibility to inform yourself of, and abide by, the policies of each library.
- Each participating library sets its own borrowing policies.
- Many libraries will not lend non-book materials or allow holds, renewals or access to online resources.
- You may return your materials at any TAL library, including SAIT. Each item must include a TAL bookmark.
TAL Card users are responsible for the materials they borrow and for fines incurred no matter which library they borrow from. Fines must be paid directly to the library from where the material was borrowed. TAL Card users should report any lost or damaged items to the library from which they were borrowed.
Visitors to SAIT
Visitors can use their TAL cards to borrow material from the Reg Erhardt Library. Be sure to get a TAL card from your home library before coming to the Reg Erhardt Library.
To begin borrowing, bring your TAL card to the library Information Desk. You must also have a valid library card from your home library and proof of your current address.
Visitors using TAL cards at the SAIT library are subject to the following rules:
- TAL borrowers can use their Library PIN to place holds and renew material.
- A maximum of 10 items can be signed out on your TAL card at any given time.
- Materials may be returned to any participating library — however, each item must include a TAL bookmark.
- e-Resources cannot be viewed outside the Reg Erhardt Library. Some of these electronic resources may not be accessible at all, depending on our licensing agreements with our vendor.
See Loans and Renewals for a list materials available to TAL borrowers.
Expiry of TAL Cards
TAL Cards expire on the date set by your home library.