SAIT Archives

Photo Gallery

(click images for larger view)

Originally called the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art (PITA). The building stood alone on the top of the North Hill.

1922 Heritage Hall

History: Three storey main building was 340 feet long by 90 feet wide. Located on the main floor were the administrative offices and the assembly hall. The second floor was the staff common-room, separate staff rooms, and the gallery of the assembly hall. On the third floor were shower baths, the gymnasium and locker rooms, and the library. In the basement was a dining room and a service kitchen. The west wing of the main building became the new home of the Normal School, housing its classrooms and practice school. The east wing was put to use by the Technical Institute. On the main floor were the laboratories and lecture rooms, on the second floor the household economics department and on the third floor the arts and drafting room.

Accession Number: 2008.001/133

Surveying Class

History: Class in Surveying --- Taken at the First Provincial Institute of Technology and Art Campus --- Colonel Walker School (1918-1919).

Provincial Institute Becomes SAIT

History: Provincial Institute of Technology and Art became SAIT on December 30th, 1960. This picture was taken around 1930 and shows the Main Building, "A" shop to the right and the power plant and stack in the rear.

A Building Circa 1947

History: In the background is 16th Avenue N.W. with "A" building shops on the right circa 1947.

Accession Number: 2008.001/137

Campus Circa 1954

History: An aerial view of the campus circa 1954, looking West.

Campus Circa 1961

History: An aerial view of the campus circa 1961, looking North-East.

10th Street Entrance Circa 1965

History: East entrance to SAIT from 10th Street N.W. circa 1965.

Accession Number: 2008.001/147

Senator Burns Building Construction Circa 1965

History: Campus buildings, Senator Burns building under construction circa 1965.

Accession Number: 2008.001/134

Summer 1978 Campus

History: Aerial view of SAIT campus in the summer of 1978.

1986 Campus

History: This was taken July 25th, 1986. An aerial view of the SAIT campus.

2008 Campus

History: This was taken April 26, 2008. An aerial view of the SAIT campus. This is around the time the underground parking lot was being built under the field. The new SAIT residence is built.